SPLIT STEP TENNIS
Foster City, CA 94404
Benefits of Team Sports
If you want your child to grow up to be a confident and well-adjusted adult, then team sports may well be the answer. When you play a team sport you learn that it doesn't just come down to the best player, it comes down to working as a team, accepting decisions and understanding that people have different abilities.
Learning about values
Playing a team sport provides kids with important lessons in personal values. Kids learn that things aren't going to go their way all the time, and that they need to respect their peers as well as authority figure, ie, parents. Children who play team sports learn how to be more resilient when presented with a setback, and are less likely to feel isolated.
When your kids take part in team sports they develop:
- friendship and camaraderie
- cooperation and teamwork skills
- leadership skills
- appreciation of different abilities
- respect for team mates/ opponents/officials
- a sense of belonging/team membership
- social interaction skills
- physical skills
- self-esteem and self concept
- team goal-setting skills
- self-discipline, patience and persistence
- resilience through sharing positive and negative experiences.
Teams sports give kids the opportunity to:
- be less selfish and to think of other people
- deal with losing as well as winning.
- they learn that things are not going to go their way, or the team's way, all the time
- overcome shyness by putting them into situations where they need to communicate with others
- become more sociable in different environments.
- they have to deal with different people, who may or may not be their friends.